We are sticking to an easy-to-follow, three-prong attack adhering to my version of the KISS acronym – Keep It Sweet and Simple. For more details on each of these important points, see week’s 1, 2and 3 blogs.
1. Stoking the Furnace – Using our Total Gym to increase our metabolism. When we stress our muscles properly (Rule of 10) they become stronger, leaner, and hungrier. Yes! Check out the video for this week’s stellar exercises.
2. Torching More Calories – This week’s hack: Good ole’ Interval Training. All the buzz for about the last 10 years whether it be Tabata Training or HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training). There is so much on Interval Training info online so I won’t waste words in this blog. But here is my KISS explanation: whatever cardiovascular activity you are doing, psych yourself up with some self-motivating talk, “Ok, I’m going to pick up my pace until I feel I’m getting out of breath. Let’s Rock!” Once you’re breathing pretty hard, go back to your cruising pace until you recover. Repeat until your time is done. Sweet n’ Simple. Here are the awesome benefits of Interval Training:
๏ You’ll burn almost twice as many calories as doing steady-pace cardio maximizing your workout time.
๏ Your metabolism will get a nice bump for the following 24-48 hours. ๏ Keeping your heart guessing like this is more effective training for strengthening the most important muscle in your body making it function more efficiently and thus, last longer. ๏ All the wonderful, scientifically proven brain benefits are amplified when doing interval training, making your noggin work better and staving off cognitive diseases such as dementia, Parkinson’s, and Alzheimer’s.
3. Eating Strategies – Let’s talk healthy snacking. I tell my clients to avoid getting to any hunger stage. (Exception: Intermittent Fasting I spoke of in Week #1’s blog) By snacking between meals you’ll keep your metabolism up throughout the day and avoid the famished/then overeating cycle. The key is to prepare them in advance so they are readily at your fingertips. Here are a few my clients enjoy:
– Make your own hummus! I was amazed at how easy and inexpensive this is. Check the web but basically garbanzo beans and tahini (I recommend Trader Joe’s) You can spice it to your liking with garlic, roasted peppers, cilantro, etc. Dip with carrots, celery, and/or healthy crackers.
– Craving a salty snack? Crunchy pretzels with your favorite mustard. Air-popped popcorn – a little bit of real butter goes a long way but don’t emulate the movie theaters!
– Craving ice cream? (my kryptonite) Greek yogurt. I used to recommend non-fat but at least 2% is much more satiating with less sugar. Add your favorite berries, a few walnuts, or add bananas and peanut butter.
– Cottage cheese, tomatoes, basil, and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette or a balsamic glaze (Fig is my favorite – got it on Amazon)
Enough from me but get creative, pre-prepare, and enjoy!
Here is our Stoking your Furnace workout plan focusing on just one or two muscle groups per day. Today covers sculpting your shoulders and triceps for strength, and aesthetics!
๏ Workout #1 – Chest
๏ Workout #2 – Back
๏ Workout #3 – Legs (best on your high-energy days!)
๏ Workout #4 – Shoulders & Triceps (2 on this day)
๏ Workout #5 – Biceps (this is a good day to hit your abs hard too!)
I eagerly welcome your opinions or feedback.
Looking forward to next week’s team. Let’s Do This!